Water in the Anthropocene is a 3-minute film charting the global impact of humans on the water cycle.
Evidence is growing that our global footprint is now so significant we have driven Earth into a new geological epoch — the Anthropocene.
Human activities such as damming and agriculture are changing the global water cycle in significant ways.
The data visualisation was commissioned by the Global Water Systems Project for a major international conference (Water in the Anthropocene, Bonn, Germany, 21-24 May, 2013).
As datasets build upon one another, the film charts Earth’s changing global water cycle, why it is changing, and what this means for the future. The vertical spikes that appear in the film represent the 48,000 large dams that have been built.
The film was produced by Globaïa and the International Geosphere-Biosphere Programme.
globaia.org // igbp.net
The film is part of the first website on the concept of humans as a geological force, anthropocene.info
– Base map: NASA, Natural Earth, Globaïa
– Total precipitation: GEOS-5 — svs.gsfc.nasa.gov/vis/a030000/a030000/a030017/index.html
– Ocean currents: OSCAR — svs.gsfc.nasa.gov/vis/a000000/a003900/a003958/index.html
– Dams & Reservoir capacity: GRanD — sedac.ciesin.columbia.edu/data/set/grand-v1-dams-rev01
– Cities: VIIRS 2012 — ngdc.noaa.gov/dmsp/download.html
– Cropland (North America): Agriculture Lands 2000 — earthstat.org
– Anthroposphere: Several sources, see Cartography of the Anthropocene on Globaïa’s website — globaia.org
– Sea ice: Sea Ice for Science on a Sphere — svs.gsfc.nasa.gov/vis/a000000/a003500/a003579/index.html
– Rivers: NGIA vMAP — geoengine.nga.mil/geospatial/SW_TOOLS/NIMAMUSE/webinter/vmap0_legend.html
– Lakes: Global Lakes and Wetlands Database — gcmd.nasa.gov/records/GCMD_GLWD.html
– Human Water Security Index: Adjusted HWS Threat — riverthreat.net
Earlyguard — earlyguard.bandcamp.com
Jana Winderen — janawinderen.com
International Geosphere-Biosphere Programme
Stockholm Resilience Centre
Credits at the end of the film will be altered to reflect this sponsor list.